Tuesday 28 May 2013

iPad: Have I got to the end of my road app?

I think I may have come to a conclusion with my iPad: I've got all of the apps I will ever need. By this, what I really mean is I have all of the genres of apps that I need and I really can't think of anything else I need to do my job. For a bit of background, Google Apps is my platform of choice for document storage (and I teach and manage ICT across the curriculum).

Here is what I have:

Cloud

Google Drive
Dropbox
Evernote

Productivity/Collaboration 

Google Drive
QuickOffice (syncs with Google Drive)
Notability (syncs with Google Drive)
Explain Everything (syncs with Google Drive)
Book Creator
Haiku Deck
Splashtop (for accessing remote computers, both Mac and PC)

Social

Twitter
Flipboard

Teaching Tools

iDoceo (backs up to Dropbox)
Socrative
Quizlet
YouTube
iTunes U
mp3 Recorder

Digital Video/Audio

iMovie
Green Screen FX Studio
Coach My Video
Garageband

Computing

Kodable
Edhita
Codea
Hopscotch
Cargobot
Bee Bot

Browser

Safari
Chrome

Basically with all of these apps, I can create any sort of content I need to (written and multimedia), I can annotate and store documents in the cloud that are emailed to me, I can access almost all web based tools. I can keep my markbook up to date with grades, annotations, pictures and videos of student's work. I can access both my Mac and PC screens through my iPad. I can take and edit digital video and audio.

In some ways, this illustrates the brilliance of the iPad (currently) over other devices, that all of this functionality is squeezed into a small and accessible form.

So, I can do everything I need to with these apps. Am I missing anything? Am I missing any app genres that would make my electronic working life complete? Currently, I can't see myself downloading too many more apps in the very near future (in fact I have a gift card that is currently burning a hole in my pocket!). Any and all suggestions welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment